Gragson Finishes 21st in Duel at Daytona
Driver of No. 62 Beard Oil Distributing Chevrolet Will Start 39th in Daytona 500
Event: Bluegreen Vacations Duel
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2.5-mile oval)
Format: Twin 150-mile qualifying races that set the field for the Daytona 500
Start/Finish: 17th/21st (Running, completed 57 of 60 laps)
Duel No. 1 Winner: Brad Keselowski of Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing (Ford)
Duel No. 2 Winner: Chris Buescher of Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing (Ford)
- Noah Gragson started 17th and finished 21st.
- On the initial start, Gragson dropped to the back of the 21-car field and raced conservatively to preserve his No. 62 Beard Oil Distributing Chevrolet Camaro for the Daytona 500.
- Gragson pitted on lap 40 for four tires and fuel and returned to the field in 21st, a position he held through the finish.
- Drivers earning odd-numbered positions from Wednesday’s pole qualifying session were assigned to the first Duel race. Drivers earning even-numbered positions from pole qualifying competed in the second Duel race. The starting positions for each Duel race were based on qualifying times.
- This was Gragson’s second appearance in the Duel. He finished 18th last year.
- Gragson will start 39th in the Daytona 500. It will mark his official NASCAR Cup Series debut, as it will be Gragson’s first points-paying start in NASCAR’s premier division.
Noah Gragson, driver of the No. 62 Beard Oil Distributing Chevrolet Camaro:
“We rode out there by ourselves. Our goal was to make the Daytona 500, I would’ve liked to run up with those guys but we have to look at the bigger picture and that’s making it to the Daytona 500. Super excited to make my first Daytona 500 start. We’ll be here on Sunday and we’ll race.”
The 64th running of the Daytona 500 takes place at 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.